As many of us do nowadays, I started searching for a possible solution to my problem on the Internet. Here is the summary of what I found:
1. Daily Stretching – recommended by about 30-35% of web-sites
2. Circumcision – 40-45%
3. Using steroid creams – about 20%
4. Preputioplasty – <5% of web-sites.
I want to describe my personal opinion about each of the options listed above.
1. Daily Stretching. A lot of guys recommend this method. I was surprised to find that it is recommended even more by commercial web sites that offer stretching devices. Mostly, they are aimed at circumcised guys who want to restore their foreskin. But people say that it helps guys with tight foreskin problems as well. The idea behind is that foreskin is still skin and it has the ability to stretch. If you keep stretching daily, it will become longer/wider. There are thousands of techniques, devices and approaches to stretching. Personally, I don’t like any of them. A) It takes a LONG time for a foreskin to get longer/wider. Sometimes longer than a year. I am eager to see results sooner than that. B) I know I am lazy to do that daily. C) Some devices require that you wear them all the time. No way. I am a swimmer. D). I am not sure it will help in the first place. Everything was fine when my foreskin could stretch. The way it feels now is as if it lost its ability to stretch. At the same time, this is one of the least invasive methods, which is always good.
2. Circumcision. I cannot overestimate the number of guys who recommend this method. The idea behind is, ‘Why dealing with the problem with the foreskin, if you can eliminate the foreskin altogether?’ It reminds me of the famous saying by Joseph Stalin (the Russian dictator), ‘If a person causes a problem, eliminate the person, and you will eliminate the problem.’ I do not want to discuss all pros and cons of circumcision here. I am just stating my personal view. I like my foreskin. It is part of me. Just like my ear. Or my finger. Plus, it adds to my pleasure during sex. I don’t want to just give it away. Also, there is no coming back after circumcision. So, this is my last resort.
3. Using steroid creams. Not a bad idea IF it can help. The treatment period is much shorter than the one for stretching, usually a couple of months. It is the least invasive method, and I combine it perfectly fine with my swimming.
4. Preputioplasty. I couldn’t find much information about this particular alternative, besides a couple of articles here and there that all say the same thing. Not a single personal experience blog. At the same time, I liked the idea behind. It seems to be in between circumcision (the most radical option) and doing nothing. The foreskin is not removed but is somehow surgically widened. The surgery is minor and is not as invasive as circumcision. Cons: it is still a surgery, and definitely is more invasive than options 1 and 3.
I use the Internet as the second opinion ONLY, and the first one ALWAYS should come from a doctor, so I called a local urology department to schedule an appointment. After listening to my symptoms, the lady on the phone told me that I don’t need to see a doctor, and a visit to a nurse practitioner may be enough. I did not like that option since I always try to get the most expert opinion possible, but she explained to me that the waiting time for an appointment with a doctor is much longer (weeks), whereas I can see the nurse practitioner in days. Also, if the nurse practitioner cannot help me, I can always schedule another appointment with a doctor at a later date. I agreed with her reasoning and scheduled an appointment with the nurse…. I am very eager to hear what he has to say.